Education and Social Justice Projects by Year
The Education and Social Justice Project provides several students with summer research fellowships to travel abroad for an in-depth examinations of innovative initiatives, with a focus on the work of Jesuit secondary and post-secondary institutions. Under faculty supervision, the students gather information through interviews, analyze best practices, and share their reports and conclusions with a wider global audience. This page lists participating student researchers by year and partner institution.
- Summer 2018: Brittany Fried was hosted by the Jesuit Center for Theological Reflection in Zambia, Mayeesha Galiba by the Centre for Child Protection in Italy, Grace Koehl by Entreculturas in Spain, and Erin Luck by Javeriana University (La Pontificia Universidad Javeriana) in Colombia.
- Summer 2017: Mary Breen was hosted by Border Solidarity (Solidaridad Fronteriza) in the Dominican Republic, Harshita Nadimpalli by St. Ignatius Loyola Secondary School in Mozambique, Nicholas Na by St. Ignatius’ College in Australia, and Anastasia Sendoun by Ukrainian Catholic University in Ukraine.
- Summer 2016: During the project's seventh year, Mariam Diefallah was hosted by Centre Christus of Remera in Rwanda, Sarah Jannarone by the Jesuit College Magis in Slovenia, Khaliyah Legette by Nyumbani Children's Home in Kenya, Jonathan Thrall by Jesuit Refugee Services in Jordan, and Carolyn Vilter by the Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico.
- Summer 2015: In the project's sixth year, Dana Drecksel was hosted by the Sogang University (Seoul) and Gangjeong Village (Jeju Island) in South Korea, Sabrina Khan by the Centre de Formation Pédagogique in Senegal, Nicolas "Nico" Lake by the Universidad Rafael Landívar in Guatemala, and Caitlin Snell by the Anishinabe Spiritual Centre in Canada.
- Summer 2014: During the project's fifth year, Kendra Layton was hosted by Caritas in Bangladesh, Adam Barton by Pastoral da Criança in Brazil, Elizabeth "Hopey" Fink by C.E.R.C.L.E in Burkina Faso, and Gianna Maita by the Central American University in Managua, Nicaragua.
- Summer 2013: During the project's fourth year, Sarah Baran was hosted by Protagonizar in Argentina, Margot “Annie” Dale by the Apostolic Prefecture of Battambang in Cambodia, Nick Dirago by Fe y Alegría in Peru, and Elisabeth Lembo by the Jesuit University of Krakow in Poland.
- Summer 2012: During the project's third year, Charlotte Markson was hosted by the Catholic University of Uruguay (Universidad Católica del Uruguay), Lisa Frank by Fe y Alegría Bolivia, Shea Houlihan by OCER Campion Jesuit College in Uganda, and Masha Goncharova by a series of Russian Orthodox schools and seminaries in France.
- Summer 2011: In the project's second year, Deven Comen was hosted by St. Xavier's College in Mumbai, Conor Finnegan by the Jesuit Institute South Africa in Johannesburg, and Codie Kane by the Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas (UCA) in San Salvador, El Salvador.
- Summer 2010: In its first year, Ryan Covington was hosted by St. Aloysius Gonzaga School in Nairobi, Kenya, Brian Dillon by Ateneo de Manila University in Manila, Philippines, and Cindy Shuck by the Universidad Alberto Hurtado in Santiago, Chile.